From the HBD Archive
Subject: Microwaves and Mashing
Date: 1992-04-20 17:16:46 GMT

This showed up in rec.crafts.brewing. I thought this was a neat
trick and might even be useful for
partial mashes for those of us with electric stoves.
Reprinted with the author's permission.

- ------------------------------------------------------------------

From: (Jamie Lewis Moore)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.brewing
Subject: Micro-Mashing

I have been brewing all-grain for about three years now with good
results, but my interest in experimenting with new recipes has led me
to brewing 3 gallon batches. Needless to say this is a lot of work to
go to for such a small batch.

I have come up with a solution that is easy and saves me a lot of
worrying (sorry Charlie). So I will pass on this mashing technique to
the rest of you for comments and such.

1) Cut off the bottom 6 inches off a plastic 5 gallon bucket with a
saber saw or hand saw (don't use a shipping knife, too dangerous).

2) Make sure it fits into your micro-wave oven!

3) Pour in enough water for 5 lbs of cracked malt (about a quart per
pound of grain or slightly more).

4) Set your micro-wave to 70-80% power setting and set the timer for
about 25 minutes (assuming a 600-700 watt oven).

5) Stop the oven every 5 minutes and stir the mash well. Also
check the temperature rise to estimate the amount of time to reach the
first rest point.

6) When the temperature hits 118-122 F stop the oven and let sit for 30
minutes in the oven with the door closed. This is a very important
step if you want haze free beer that ferments well. Something to do
with breaking down long chain proteins and freeing up nutrients for
the yeast. I have never experienced chill haze with or without irish
moss as long as I do a good protein rest.

7) start up the oven again and continue to stop every 5 minutes and
stir well.

8) when the mash hits 155 F stop the oven, stir well and then let rest
for 10 minutes.

9) The temperature will have fallen a few degrees so run the oven for
another few minutes and let rest for 10 minutes.

10) Continue this process for 45 minutes or until the mash passes the
iodine test.(I just wait out the time, the iodine test is a little
tricky to interpret correctly and makes me worry!)

11) Run the oven on full power and stop to stir and check temperature
until the 170 F point has been reached. Let rest for 10 minutes. This
step is also very important because the elevated temperature kills off
enzyme activity that would shift your sugar to dextrins ratio and give
your beer a thin body with a high alcohol content. I forgot this once
and my wort fermented over night to completion. Tasted a little bitter
due to low dextrin content and was thin. On the positive side the beer
was very clean due to the rapid ferment.

12) Sparge as usual and so on ...

Let me know how this works for you, I have used it two times with
consistent results.

Jamie Moore

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

- --
John Quintana Voice Phone (in UK): 061-275-4161
Department of Physics 061-275-4059
Schuster Laboratory FAX Phone (in UK): 061-275-4149
University of Manchester UK Country Code: 44
Manchester M13 9PL

Back New Search

The posts that comprise the Homebrew Digest Searchable Archive remain the property of their authors.
This search system is copyright © 2008 Scott Alfter; all rights reserved.