From the HBD Archive
From: (Bill Fuhrmann)
Subject: Calcium Chloride
Date: 1992-05-12 11:16:16 GMT

|--- Pete replied to Greg
|Seems to me that crystaline stuff you buy at the hardware store to
|sprinkle on you iced-up driveway in the winter is calcium chloride.
|Another name for it is rock salt. I doubt they add anything to it -
|probably just crush it up. Be sure you check the ingredients if you
|plan to use this in beer (?!). You obviously don't want to use any
|of those weird chemicals they also sell for melting ice.
|Another possible source is at a water softener *type* store
|(Culligan?). I think they use calcium chloride to soften hard water,

I suspect that you will get more than one reply like this:

Calcium Chloride is used for melting ice on sidewalks, however, it is not
the same as Rock salt or Water Softener salt. Those two are common forms
of Table salt or Sodium Chloride. Calcium Chloride tastes terrible.

You might be able to find Calcium Chloride in a drug store, it's supprising
how many chemicals you can get there.*

Bill Fuhrmann, aka

"You don't know what you've got till it's gone." - Joni Mitchell

Back New Search

The posts that comprise the Homebrew Digest Searchable Archive remain the property of their authors.
This search system is copyright © 2008 Scott Alfter; all rights reserved.