From the HBD Archive
From: (James Dipalma)
Subject: mashing wheat malt
Date: 1992-07-20 19:09:00 GMT

Hi all,

This past weekend I brewed an all grain dunkelweizen. This
was my first experience with wheat malt, I changed my procedure
somewhat, and something unusual occured.
Having read that wheat malt is high in protien, I did an
extended protien rest, holding the mash at 118F-122F for one hour.
I then raised the temperature of the mash to 155F for one hour,
checking temperature and stirring at 10-15 minute intervals. This
mash took just over two hours to convert, as verified by several
iodine tests. Using the same equipment and procedures(except for the
longer protien rest), I have never had a mash take longer than 1 to
1 1/2 hours, using English pale, German 2 row pilsner, Munich, etc.

So, my questions to those who have mashed wheat malt:

Is it normal that conversion took so long? I had read that wheat
malt is very high in amalyse enzyme, I expected a somewhat shorter
mash than normal.

Is an extended protien rest desirable? Could this have affected
the starch conversion?

Some specifics:

5 lbs. wheat malt
3 lbs. munich malt
2 lbs. 2 row lager malt
1/2 lb. black malt - did'nt mash this, just crushed and added to
lauter tun.

1.25 qt/lb, water to grist ratio

Initial SG 1.055 after boiling down to 5.25 gallons, so my extraction
was reasonable. In fact, everything about the brew seems normal,
except for the longer mash.

P.S. There has been a fair amount of discussion on the net lately
regarding the clove character (or lack thereof) imparted by Wyeast
3056. Some have posted that higher fermentation temperatures seem
to help provide more clove flavor. The above batch is now
fermenting away in my 72F-75F basement, so in two-three weeks I'll
have some data on this point.


Back New Search

The posts that comprise the Homebrew Digest Searchable Archive remain the property of their authors.
This search system is copyright © 2008 Scott Alfter; all rights reserved.