Subject: Head retention
Date: 1989-12-06 21:12:48 GMT
What are the factors influencing head retention? I'm aware that:
- Oils, dirt, and soap (in bottle or serving glass) decrease the head
- Unfermentables can increase the head
- Guinness uses nitrogen to improve head stability and add a certain tang.
(Please correct me if I'm wrong on these.) So how do the following
affect head retention (if at all)?
- Hop variety (boil vs. finishing, whole vs. pelletized).
- Hopping techniqes (ie, finishing vs. dry-hopping).
- Yeast variety.
- The various grains: wheat, rice, crystal malt, roasted barley, etc.
- Type of malt extract (light vs dark).
Any suggestions on easy ways to improve head retention?
Mark R. Leone <email@example.com>
School of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
The posts that comprise the Homebrew Digest Searchable Archive remain the
property of their authors.
This search system is copyright © 2008 Scott Alfter; all rights reserved.