From the HBD Archive
From: willa@hpvclwa.hp.com
Subject: Harmful Bacteria in Honey
Date: 1990-04-04 16:25:36 GMT

florianb@tekred.cna.tek.com writes:

>It is my understanding that honey can contain a bacteria which has been known
>to be fatal to children under the age of two years.

I think the bacteria is botulinum. As I understand it (remember, I'm a
programmer, not a biologist), in small children, botulinum is pathogenic. The
other nasty thing this beasty does is secrete botulin, which is toxic to folks
of all ages. This is the good ole botulism which one can get from poorly
canned food. According to my pediatrician, it's ok to give honey to children
over 1 year of age (but check with YOUR doctor, don't take my word).


. .Will

Will Allen
HP Vancouver Division
willa@hpvcfs1.hp.com or ...!hplabs!hpvcfs1!willa or Will Allen/HP5400/PE

Back New Search

The posts that comprise the Homebrew Digest Searchable Archive remain the property of their authors.
This search system is copyright © 2008 Scott Alfter; all rights reserved.