From the HBD Archive
From: rogerl@Think.COM
Subject: First Batch wo[rri]es
Date: 1989-03-03 20:00:01 GMT

Date: Fri, 3 Mar 89 03:00:04 est
From: Michael L. Farkas <Farkas@GODZILLA.SCH.Symbolics.COM>
Subject: First batch woes...

>All looked like it was going well. I used liquid yeast and got nice
>fermentation in about 15 hours after pitching. I decided to do a two
>stage fermentation. This is where my possible problem begins.
Not likely.

>A week later later, when the violent fermentation was apparently
>done, I racked into a second carboy and attached an "S" shapped
>fermentation lock like I used to use when I made wine.
This may be were the rub might be. If you are going to do a two stage
fermentation process, the brew should have been transferred when the
S.P. reached the half way point toward your expected ending S.P.. Not
necessarily until "when the violent fermentation" is finished. Sounds
like you've done a single stage ferment process, with very good sucess.

>The reason for using this lock was because i find it easier to detect
>small abounts of escaping CO2. A day had passed and no indication of
>escaping gas was present. I even gave the carboy a little shake, and
>nothing! I then checked the SG and found that it was approaching 1.0.
That means the brew was ready to be bottled. Typically single stage
fermentations only take 5 to 8 days. In fact, if memory serves me
well, single stage processes should not go for more than 10 days max.

>Realizing the importance of the protective CO2 layer, I panicked and
Above all, remember: Don't Panic and always carry your towel. Oophs,
wrong saying, but still appropriate, I should have said: Relax, Don't
Worry, and Have a Homebrew.

> 8-O Throughout the process, the temperature has been right
>around 60 to 65 degrees F. It's been about 5 days now and the beer
>(Irish Ale) seems to have cleared real well. From what I have read
>and been told this should have taken between two and three weeks
>before bottling.
Sounds like you've got a really nice Ale on your hands. The reason
why it cleared so fast was the time it spent in the carboy allowed the
particlate matter in the Ale to settle out faster. Therefore less
time is needed for the bottle to clear. Ales in general, I have to
agree with other respondents to this forum, is best drunk fresh. ANd
it sounds like you got a good'n on your hands.

>Did I rush?
Maybe, yes and maybe no. If you wanted to do a two stage process you
may have let things go too long in the primary. If you are not as
concerned about what process you used most likely, no. Ales of type
you are making, here's where I'm making some rask assumptions, are
typically made using a single stage ferment process. Therefore, yes
you didn't do a two stage process, but does it matter?

>Am I going to have sick beer?
Again, most likely not. I've not heard of a brew with influenza.
I've seen some contaminated beers, but I don't call that sick, that's
just bad.

The reason you want the microbeasties to do their thing more slowly is
that the slower the conversion takes place the more character you will
get. Type of yeast is very important, but just as important is to
control the speed at which these critters take to convert the sugars
to CO2 and alcohol. Try this recipe again and slow the conversion
speed and taste the two side by side. It's an interesting test.
above all remember:
Don't Worry,
Have A Homebrew!

Roger Locniskar

Back New Search

The posts that comprise the Homebrew Digest Searchable Archive remain the property of their authors.
This search system is copyright © 2008 Scott Alfter; all rights reserved.