Subject: Re: Old Faithful
Date: 1989-06-01 12:28:42 GMT
There are several factors that can cause a beer to gush out. Some include:
1) You may have bottled the beer before fermentation was complete. This
seems unlikely in your case, for 4 weeks in secondary fermentation is
usually enough (though I recently made a dopplebock that took about 6 weeks
to ferment out). Keeping track of the specific gravity will help eliminate
this type of problem.
2) Adding too much priming sugar might also cause this (pure speculation).
3) Bacteria infection. I've heard (and my own experence seems to support)
that bacteria infections don't always result in a poor tasting brew. If I
were betting on what caused your problem, this is where I'd put my money.
As for whether you should continue drinking this brew, I dunno. Any
microbiologists listening who would care to speculate on whether
contaminated beer is likely to be poisonous?
The posts that comprise the Homebrew Digest Searchable Archive remain the
property of their authors.
This search system is copyright © 2008 Scott Alfter; all rights reserved.